Thursday, June 5, 2008

In which mother plays the nurturer

Here is my edit of a collaborative play. Feel free to try an edit of another piece if you like.


In which mother plays the nurturer

Mom: (to listener) Hey there. Hey. You wanna play with some blocks? Do you? Why don’t you play with some blocks. All of you why don’t you stack some blocks up? Work together now. Don’t forget to share. There you go. Good Job. Make that stack as tall as you can.

Kim: Hey Mom, can I have 20 dollars?

Mom: After you clean your room.

Kim: This is dumb! When I grow up I'm never cleaning my room again!

Mom: Well, then everyone is going to think you're a pig. They'll call you "pig pig pig girl" and ask me how I ever could've raised you.

Kim: I'd rather be a pig girl than a repressed WASP like you!

Mom: At least I HAVE something TO repress missy! Not like you.

(pause.)

Mom: (to listener) Oh my. You are sooo good at stacking blocks. Don’t worry if they fall over. Just start a new stack. Make sure everyone helps out. Is there another way these could've been stacked? Maybe, but your way is clearly the best. Very nice job.

Mike: What’s with these stupid piles.

Mom: That is no way to speak in this house. You apologize this instant.

Mike: Fine. Whatever.

Mom: That’s your answer for everything, isn't it!

Mike: I dunno.

Mom: I'll give you "whatever" you little son of a bitch!

Mike: I’m leaving.

Mom: (to listener) Ok now. Put those finishing touches on it now. Ooooh, very good. All done? Very good. Now I want you to mess up your piles! Go ahead, it's alright. Excellent! Now create a mess of the piles as if this were the scene of a terrible crime. YES! OH MY GOD! MORE MESS YESSSSS! Quick, here come the cops! Good! Now you'd better leave. Let's pretend like this never happened.

No comments: